Friday, January 4, 2013

ARKANSAS CORNBREAD


Yesterday I listed my special recipe for chili.  Well, you can’t have chili without cornbread.  And several years ago, my father gave me a perfect recipe.  I hereby share it with you.  Enjoy!







DAD’S ARKANSAS CORNBREAD

Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal                                   ½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar                             1 egg
½ teaspoon soda in 1 cup buttermilk. 
Tip 1… If buttermilk is not your thing, it’s easy to keep it on hand.  You can buy powdered buttermilk and just re-constitute it as needed. 
Tip 2… drop the soda in the buttermilk and stir it in just before you combine it with the other ingredients.


Preheat oven to 450 o f.  Pour ¼ cup oil into 8 inch iron skillet and place skillet in oven while you are preheating the oven.

Mix all ingredients together.  When oven reaches 450 o f, pull skillet out of oven and place on heat-proof trivet.  Pour cornbread mixture into the hot oil slowly and carefully.  Quickly place skillet back into preheated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Yields about 8 pieces of delicious cornbread.

Point of interest…. My dad was always taken care of by my Mom or Grandmother.  He only cooked when there was something he really, really wanted to fix.  This was one of the few things he made the effort to learn.  Trust me!  If you like cornbread, this is a recipe you want to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment